Top Hydrogen Moments of 2021
October 8, 2021
It’s National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day! At Plug Power, we are celebrating with our list of favorite moments in 2021 that led to greater awareness, development, or adoption of hydrogen technology.
Fun fact: National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Day was created to help raise awareness of a clean energy technology that is here now. October 8th (10.08) was chosen in reference to the atomic weight of hydrogen (1.008).
Below is our list of the top hydrogen moments from 2021, including a humble brag from us.
- Tokyo Olympic Torch: A partnership between Toyota and fuel supplier Eneos created the first-ever hydrogen-fueled Olympic torch, highlighting this clean energy on the world stage.
- Energy Earthshot: The U.S. Department of Energy launched Hydrogen Shot, its first-ever Energy Earthshot, to reduce the cost of clean hydrogen by 80%.
- Hyundai Commercial Vehicles: Hyundai announced that they will be providing fuel cell versions of all commercial vehicles starting in 2028.
- Blue Origin: Blue Origin’s maiden trip with Jeff Bezos on board featured a hydrogen-powered trip to space.
- Hydrogen Helicopter: The first-ever hydrogen fuel-cell powered helicopter, Pieasecki eVTOL PA-890, was unveiled and will take flight in 2023.
- Formula One: Formula One announced that hydrogen may be the future fuel for some of the fastest vehicles in the world.
- Energy Observer’s Maiden Voyage: The Energy Observer, the first self-sufficient energy vessel with zero greenhouse gas or fine particle emissions powered by hydrogen and renewable energies, launched its trip around the world.
- Plug Power’s Green Hydrogen Network: We broke ground on a network of the world’s largest green hydrogen plants, started building the world’s first green hydrogen gigafactory, and formed new global joint ventures.
Those interested in learning more about advancements in green hydrogen can attend Plug Power’s Symposium on Oct. 14. Please register here.